Thursday, May 8, 2008

Introduction

Hey guys,
I thought I'd write my first entry, just to test this blog thing out.
My name is Zoe, I'm a sophomore in high school in South Bend, Indiana. I like to play piano, speak spanish, watch movies, hang out with my friends.. and oh yeah, I'm going to Brazil in august, to be an exchange student for a year! Big news, I know.
The process for becoming an exchange student was long and grueling. I applied in October for a Rotary scholarship. After a series of interviews, weeks of completing long applications, and months of anxious waiting by the phone, I got the call that Rotary had accepted me in December. After that, more applications and more meetings, and I finally got word in March that I'll be spending my exchange year in Brazil.
A few weeks ago, I found out that I'll be living in a city called Itabuna, in the state of Bahia.
From wikipedia..

"As the chief locus of the early Brazilian slave trade, Bahia is considered to possess the greatest and most
distinctive African imprint, in terms of culture and customs, in Brazil. These include the
Yoruba-derived religious system of Candomblé, the martial art of capoeira (especially the style of capoeira de Angola), African-derived music such as samba (especially samba's Bahian precursor samba-de-roda), afoxé, and axé, and a cuisine with strong links to western Africa."


Photobucket

The city of Salvador has a lot of colonial architecture.


Photobucket

Bahia is on the coast, so it is famous for its beaches.
Oh yeah, I scored.


Photobucket

If you know me, you know that I'm big on nature and the outdoors. However, this does not mean that I'm a hippie. Very distinct difference. All the same,
BEAUTIFUL!



I can't wait to explore a different culture, learn a new language, and discover something new about a country different than my own. I already have a mental list of things I want to do there.

1). Learn Portuguese
2). Wax my legs (apparently brazilians do it)
3). Get way too attached to a brazilian soap opera
4). Play soccer
5). Get over my fear of monkeys
6). Learn capoeira
7). Drink out of a coconut
8). Buy a bikini
9). Nearly die of a tropical disease
10). MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE.............


1 comment:

Nicole said...

Wee! Tropical diseases!