Saturday, September 27, 2008

In Itacare

We have been in Itacare for two days, now, and I still cannot figure out how to write apostrophes on Brazilian keyboards.
Itacare is beautiful. I had been here before, for the day with Kyle and his family, but this weekend I can see what living here is like. The streets look old, worn down, and poor, but they have this magical rustic quality that makes them seem rich with character. Houses are so colorful, even the church a few blocks away is bright blue.
But also, when I see people walking down the street, they have this stride that makes them look content. In the US and Europe, when people are barely making it, they look depressed. Probably because they are. They might resent their country, maybe blame it for getting them in their situation to begin with. But Brazilians are so culture proud. Even if they are poor, you see them walking down the street and they look happy! I cannot understand why. Maybe it is because the sun never goes out in Brazil, or that the coconuts and mangos and bananas have magical antideppressant properties. Who knows. It is nice, though, to be in a country where you see happy people wherever you go. Not very common for such a divided country as the USA. I think the rest of the world could learn a lot from the Brazilians.
We have been taken in for 4 days by Carolina, a Brazilian girl who went to Germany last year on exchange. I have been sleeping in her room. Three huge German flags are hung on the wall, German beer bottles are proudly displayed on shelves, a collection of plates from major cities in Europe sit on another shelf, and a big Brazilian flag signed by other exchange students watches over everything.
I am not able to post pictures, since I am using another computer and I do not want to upload my photos to it, but we (unfortunately) return to Itabuna on Sunday (domingo) or Monday (segunda feira), and I will tell you about our weekend in further detail then!

Sorry about this apostrophe thing, I know it is annoying.
Love,
Zoe

No comments: