Sunday, August 17, 2008

In Brazil. Day One and a Half.

Ok first off, I'd like to address one of my old friends, Jamie, who asked me months ago to find out if the toilets flow differently here in the southern hemisphere.
They don't.
totally lame. :P
So I left out of South Bend, got pissed at Sam for not coming with, said a tearful goodbye, and boarded my mini plane to Atlanta.
I know that I cry at everything, if that's what you're thinking, but as soon as the plane departed for Atlanta, and I recovered from my crying episode, I noticed the man sitting next to me was reading the Complete Idiot's Guide to God. I thought it was funny.
He turned out to be really cool, he's a preacher from Atlanta.
So I got to Atlanta and met up with Madisyn, from Oregon, and we made our way to Sao Paolo. There, I met Jasmine, from Oklahoma, and we waited for our plane to Salvador.
This is all really boring, but as soon as we made it to the Salvador airport, everything was great. We said goodbye to Madisyn, and left on our mini flight to Ilheus, the city next to Itabuna.


an upside down picture of me, jasmine, and madisyn in the sao paolo airport.


from the plane

The first view of Salvador


We made it to Ilheus yesterday afternoon, and as we walked into the Ilheus airport, we saw dozens of people waiting for us, holding huge banners with our names on them.
Isn't that awesome? There was a banner! With my name on it!
We went to a restaurant on the coast, and met the other exchange students, Sven, from germany, and Kyle, from new york. Everyone's nice :) Jasmine and Sven I are sharing host families, so right now, Jasmine is with my second host family, and I'm with her second, and.. hm. I don't know who Sven is with. He's not with my second.. maybe we're only sharing two families. I don't know.
So now, I'm in my host family's house. I have an older sister, Bruna, 19, and a mom, and a dad that I haven't met yet. He's in Sao Paolo, taking my other host sister to the airport. She's going to Vermont for her exchange year. Anyway, they're both really nice! This morning my mom went to church. Tonight she's going again and Bruna and I are going with.
I'm also having really strange food experiences. Just this morning, for example, I was eating some fruit, and Bruna came and asked me if I wanted -insert uninterpretable portuguese here- on it. So I smiled and nodded, and she dropped a spoonful of what looked like dried milk on top. It was kind of weird.. really sweet and thick.
So, my house! We live in an apartment building about five minutes from my school (I haven't been there yet, my first day is tomorrow), and we're on the third floor. It's a big apartment! I'll post pictures later!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

zoeee!! I have read all of your text and is very interesting! haha.Do you like brazilian food or not? That´s great,tomorrow you have school I hope you enjoy a lot and you meet very much people there.It´s a very good experience,ENJOY!!
kisses for your spanish sister!

Anonymous said...

The toilets flush differently in Australia, not South America.

Anonymous said...

Haha, The Complete Idiot's Guide to God XD That is pretty funny.
Brazil looks beautiful from the pictures.

Are you having fun?? I hope you are!!

Lily

Unknown said...

Ahhh, that sounds frustrating, but amazing still. Oh, I hope you eat though, even if its just a thousand cookies. hehe.

Cierra